Health Promotion Specialists – Sault Ste. News Mary
The Health Promotion Specialist supports effective, evidence-based public health practice at Algoma Public Health (APH) through analysis and synthesis of research, application of principles and theories promoting health and developing partnerships and plans to advance healthy public policy. This position supports the delivery of the Ontario Public Health Standards through the assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of evidence-informed public health interventions that improve the health outcomes of population and advance health equity.
As part of your job, you will:
– Apply knowledge of population health, determinants of health, health promotion theory, principles of health promotion and evidence-based decision making to support the work of the local public health;
– Apply specialized knowledge and skills to assess and synthesize current evidence regarding options for health promotion action that are effective in a Northern Ontario context;
– Retrieve and synthesize information on the health status of the population to describe the importance of the underlying causes of a health problem;
– Provide strategic policy advice and write clear and concise briefs on health promotion issues;
– Work independently to support internal teams to advance public health priority areas;
– Assist in the assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation and dissemination of information relating to the state of health of the population and health promotion actions;
– Collaborate with APH programs to support population health assessment and effective public health practice;
– Develop collaborative relationships with internal and external partners in all sectors to improve the impact and sustainability of health promotion actions.
Qualifications, experience and skills for this position include (but not limited to):
– Master’s degree in public health, health policy, health promotion, health sciences, epidemiology, social sciences or related discipline and/or combined relevant experience;
– 2 to 5 years of work experience in a public health setting, preferably in Ontario;
– Strong knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods and understanding and appreciation of the principles and theory of health promotion, healthy public policy and political process;
– Experience in conducting rapid literature reviews, including desk research, environmental scanning,
critical appraisal and synthesis of evidence;
– Ability to prepare and deliver high quality knowledge products, including written reports and presentations for various audiences and purposes;
– Demonstrated skills related to knowledge translation, consultation, facilitation and capacity building with diverse audiences;
– Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills;
– Ability to work independently and very responsively, to prioritize and balance multiple projects;
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
– Must be reliable and have a good attendance record;
– Ability to work outside normal working hours, including weekends and evenings, as required;
– The ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) in French and/or any other language(s) will be considered an asset;
– Requires a valid Ontario “G” driver’s license and the use of a reliable vehicle;
– As a condition of employment, you must be fully vaccinated with a series of COVID-19 vaccines, in accordance with our COVID-19 vaccination policy. If you are the successful candidate, you will be required to comply with our current COVID-19 vaccination policy;
– A current Vulnerable Sector Police Check (PVSC) with satisfactory clearance is a condition of employment, at your own expense.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Algoma Public Health will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities upon request.
Submit nominations to:
Algoma Public Health
c/o human resources
294 willow avenue
Sault Ste. Marie, ON P6B 0A9
Fax: (705) 759-2540
Email: [email protected]
We would like to thank all applicants for responding; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.