Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (HPDP) | VA Houston Health Care
Thinking of quitting smoking? Let us help you! When trying to quit smoking, counseling or medication increases your chances of success. Using these two together offers the best chance of quitting smoking. From occasional self-help to one-on-one counseling, your VA has options to help you quit smoking for good.
Join our quit smoking group. We currently offer group participation by video and conference call only.
The group meets weekly for 60 minutes and you can start attending at any time. This is a walk-in group; no recommendation is required. There is no co-pay for taking smoking cessation treatment.
Need extra support during the week?
Call 1-855-QUIT-VET (1-855-784-8838), 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to speak with a quit smoking coach in English or Spanish. QuitVET connects veterans with a trained counselor who can help develop a quit plan and provide ongoing counseling and support.
Prefer to text or find help online?
- Text VET (or VETesp for Spanish) to 47848 to receive text messages with tips and tools to beat food cravings.
- Text URGE, STRESS, SMOKED or DIPPED to 47848 for additional support.
- Follow the SmokefreeVET Facebook page for tips and encouragement from other veterans.
- Download Stay Quit Coach, VA’s interactive quit smoking app. Available for IOS or Android in your app store.
- Find more VA resources on how to quit smoking.
For more information, please contact Dr. Zina Peters at 281-797-8662.